Apr 25, 2005

We Don't Have to Suffer Alone...

This coming weekend I will meet with someone from the miscarriage blogging community. This will be a wonderful experience. She is doing interviews throughout the west about miscarriage and women's experiences. She is writing a book and creating a documentary on the subject.

My hope is that her book is published widely and that her documentary takes off. The topic of miscarriage is so UNDER discussed and UNDER recognized in this society- it needs and commands attention.

That was my motivation for starting my blog- I was desperate to have someone to talk to about all the things that were going on inside of me - It was of a certain urgency that I talk- SPEAK about miscarriage- so I could get it out and so that others could hear - and share in the experience. It is such a painful, awful, terrible, sad, horrible loss. Nobody should ever have to go through it alone, in silence- like so many women and men do.

This weekend I will do my best to convey my experiences - and hopefully the messages will span wide and the book project and documentary will get the attention it deserves.

Here are some of the questions I will be asked:

Give a brief chronology of pregnancies, births, miscarriages, abortions, etc.

Describe you miscarriage (s) - Physical Aspects

- Discovering you were pregnant
-Medical Interaction
-How did miscarriage happen
-Signs, Symptoms, Warnings, Feelings,
-Finalizing, outcome, D&C or Natural

What emotions did you go through before, during and after?

How did your partner act/react?

How did you feel the medical community treated you?

How did friends/family react?

What were your thoughts/feelings on trying again?

What happened next? (If another miscarriage, repeat 2-7)

What do you wish you knew then that you know now about miscarriage?

What do you wish had been differently by the medical community?

What have you learned about yourself since your miscarriage (s)? About your partner? Your friends? Your family?

What was the hardest thing about your miscarriage(s)?

How did the miscarriages(s) affect you spiritually?

What did you do, if anything, to memorialize the miscarriage(s)?

What have you found most helpful during this process?

What advice would you give other women who have miscarried?

These are all questions and emotions I have to really revisit this week before the interview. They are great questions- they take me back to places I don't necessarily want to go- but have to go. Somehow... this topic has to be broached. And right now, this is how I feel I can contribute. I can't stand to think there are millions of women out there right now suffering quietly....

We do NOT have to do this alone...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley,

This is Tammy from the CPNL group here in denver. I read your posts often and am so glad things are going ok for you. I am glad you are able to meet with someone to express yourself. It is very true that this subject is not talked about enough. I would also be interested in meeting with is lady on my experiences as well. Let me know if this something you would like to pass on to her. The more info the better awareness for others I feel. Take Care

Tammy
CPNL

Anonymous said...

I have been on your website, and I agree misscarriage is not talk about enough, even though it is happening all around us. I do understand some people not telling people. I had a misscarriage on october 6 2004, and when I told my friends I felt that the did'nt believe me (because i wasnt showing) which really hurts. I lost my baby at 8 weeks, but didnt find out till I went to my 12 week scan. I didnt find the hospital very helpful at all, me and my partner were shock with them. After the scan the doctor came to see me and my partner to tell me what I could do (because the baby was still in me). The option he gave me were, I could of had a d&c, Have tablets, or wait and have it natually. Me and my partner didnt want to make a choice there and then unless I was going to have a d&c, in which case I would have been admitted there and then. Anyway we went home and three days later it all happened. It was very painfull emotionally and physically. I had my mum and sister around me(my partner was at work but got there i fast as he could),that was a big help. I had alot of problems afterwards with infections but now am physically over it but not emotionally. I think about my baby every day, it would of been due on the 17 april 2005. I will never forget. I was'ent planning on saying all of this,but looking at your website brought it all back and help in a way. Its good just to tell someone who understands thanks for listerning Jo Duma (joduma@hotmail.co.uk)