Mar 2, 2005

Closed for Business

I got my test results from my HSG. Though, they were not what I expected. I thought my uterus would be abnormally shaped- or that I would have polyps. But what they found is that my left fallopian tube is closed.

Hearing this news was quite odd. I have been able to get pregnant, no problem. But come to find that my little fallopian tube that I thought was so trusty has closed itself inside of me for some reason or another.

This has nothing to do with my miscarriages. So, again, I do not have any conclusive "evidence." I still have one more test to go which will be the Endometreal Biopsy- which they are actually going to go a little further and test for Beta 3 Integrin. Sounds like a carrot mixed with aspirin...

This is what the test is "About 15% to 20% of the time, the cause of the infertility cannot be identified. This can lead to treatments that may be both stressful and expensive, yet still be less than effective.
Some women with unexplained infertility may have changes in the functioning of a reproductive organ (the uterus) that can now be detected with the E-tegrity test. In order for a pregnancy to occur, the uterus must create certain chemicals (integrins) at the right times, and E-tegrity tests for the presence of these integrins."

I asked my Doctor if this test was painful and bless her heart she said "I am going to have to get right up in there... so don't be killin' me if you are in pain... I would take something." I am so pleased that someone in the medical field told the truth today.

In my life, I never knew there were so many tests- so many procedures- so many things to research and investigate. I thought I would just get knocked up and then give birth with a couple of cravings in between. Oh, how misguided I was. And, today I got a call from a friend who is four months pregnant with her first and they think the baby has Down syndrome. She doesn't know what to do. Her husband and she are in total and complete shock. I have often wondered what I would "do" if I found out that I was pregnant with a baby that would be born with Down syndrome. It is a tough question. I just never knew how complicated fertility and infertility could be.


So, here's to all of those who struggle- with choice- with closed tubes- with babies not sticking- with pain from loss- with failed attempts and with dreams gone awry.

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I am sorry that they found that one of your tubes are closed. Do they know how long it has been closed? Or did they say how this will effect future pregnancys? I am sorry that your friend is having to go through that. I know you don't want to hear all those stories... my blah blah blah and blah blah blah and they were just okay. Because it doesn't matter. It is really scary and there is still major fear that everything will not be okay. I mean you have to face that for everyone it isn't okay or there would be no down syndrom babies which would be awesome but that is not the case. Your friend is in my thoughts; I pray that the find peace while they are deciding upon test and waitng.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ashley E.,

As a result of reading your blog "Closed for Business", I think you will discover my directory on bathroom vanities and other bathroom studies to be useful.

Why not submit your own articles on bathrooms to my free directory ... sharing your information will help others and you also get the benefit of recognition and a valuable backlink to your own site. If convenient, come and take a look at my articles on bathrooms now!

Best Regards
Emily