Mar 1, 2005

And They Said It Wouldn't Be Painful....


Pain Posted by Hello

Who knew that there were different sized speculums? I never knew... and all this time - each exam- the opening of my vagina - with a huge, steel speculum... always causing tears and pain... screams from the deepest part of my woman soul...

Today, when I went in for my HSG - hysterosalpingogram which is an X-ray of the uterus and fallopian tubes which allows visualization of the inside of the uterus and tubes. The hope is that the picture will reveal any abnormalities of the uterus as well as tubal problems such as blockage and dilation. I know my problem is not closed fallopian tubes... I can get pregnant- I just can't stay pregnant. I am scared to death about the results of this test.

I learned that yes, Doctors can choose their size of speculum and that it doesn't have to be painful...every time you have a pelvic exam... wow... who knew?


Though, for anyone out there... the HSG test was one of the more painful procedures I have ever experienced in my life. I did it because I want to know what is wrong with my uterus and why can't I carry a baby? It took them 1 hour to even get into my vagina to find my cervix... and then goes the dye- shooting into my uterus like rocket fuel- acidic and burning- cramping like I have never felt before (and I have a huge pain tolerance).

I cried my eyes out. I should have brought a friend or my husband. I just feel like a vestibule for needles- all the poking a prodding is really waring me down.

When I called to make the appointment I asked if I should take a pain killer before I came in. The person scheduling said, "Oh, no you won't need any of that, it is just a little cramping." Who are these people? How can they be so terribly misleading to patients? I am so furious with the ENTIRE medical community- I cannot even fathom going in for one more exam. I am toast. I am lost. I am tired. I am angry- so angry.

I have to get a biopsy done and for that I think I will shoot some heroin. If only I had the stamina for one more needle.

I await my results.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The HSG does suck. I was advised to take ibuprofen an hour before the procedure- I'm so sorry you were mislead, because it truly does hurt. Hoping you get good results!

Anonymous said...

Heroin?? and you wonder why you cannot stay pregnant... start having a healthy lifestyle and see what happens then

Anonymous said...

I had that done as well and they told me to take motrin or whatever before hand. I'm glad I did although I don't know if it helped any. Apparently they had real trouble with me (moreso than most I guessed from the dialogue). They had to try 4 different times and were sending people all over the hospital looking for special tools they normally don't use... and told me if that time it didn't work, they would give up. I was glad it did because I didn't want that pain for nothing. There was blood all over the table when they were done. I swore like a sailor but somehow didn't cry. I bled for 5 days afterwards. And all that to find out nothing was wrong. I guess that's good news but I still am left not knowing why I can't get pregnant.

To that jerk who wrote the above post...get a life. She was only joking about the drugs. These tests are very stressful and painful.

Anonymous said...

Did you get dropped a LOT as a baby? She is CLEARLY being sarcastic.