Feb 5, 2005

I Take Thee Child

I Take Thee Child
A Parent’s Vows
I take thee young one,
To be my beloved child

I take thee to have:
As my God given trust and responsibility,
This mortal parenthood my proud calling.

I take thee to hold close
while you are small and helpless,
close as you may grow
when my arms, eyes and ears
my hands, tongue and heart
can give comfort,
but with pliable heart strings
not apron strings.

I take thee for better:
My life better for you being,
The world lovelier,
For pride in your growth,
First steps, first words,
Your unfolding talents and ideas,
For joy, for fun, for friend and companion.

I take thee for worse:
Whenever need be, not knowing now
It’s shape.
If it touch you a sore affliction
I shall seek God’s help to lighten it,
If it engulf us in the dark of dispute
I shall relight our path with affection,
If it strike as calamity or disgrace
I shall never forsake you.

I take thee for richer:
Richer now, I endow thee
With all my worldly goods.
With food, clothing, and shelter.
More: My time, my inner self, a growing parent.
With family as your rightful inheritance,
Intact insofar as I can preserve it;
Inviolable ties with loved ones,
Pride in forebears, humble or mighty.
With home, wherin to enjoy family and friends
While retaining rights
To solitude.
While country to honor and serve,
Yours it’s rich heritage
And potential future
With a world of growing horizons
And multitudes awaiting your personal offering.
With my respect for your individuality.
Encouragement to do for yourself what you can do,
Free will to choose one day
Your own life’s work,
Your own life’s partner
Whom I shall welcome.
With loyalty, myself your steady advocate.
With reference for our creator,
Source and strength.

I take thee poorer:
And count myself no martyr
If I must sacrifice.
I dedicate my work to your outer needs,
My shared leisure to your
Inner yearnings
So you may learn the dignity of giving.

I take thee in sickness:
To nurse tenderly, guarding
Your physical safety
By my vigilance, foresight
And instruction,
Sparing you neglect always,
Sparing you injury of harsh punishment.

I take thee in health:
Knowing health combines sound
Body, mind and soul.
I regard your body as your spirits vessel,
Teach you cleanliness and zest for healthful food.
I dissuade self-indulgence,
Encourage self-mastery
Through balanced work, recreation
And response.
I respect learning, provide its atmosphere
That you may seek an educated mind.
I further your skills,
Accept your limitations, and put no kindred child before thee…
Or after.
I discipline your sensibly,
Guide you to moral and social values.
I arm you against the lure of false banners
But welcome those who inspire you rightfully.
I explain life’s processes as sacred and foster the highest attributes
Of your sex.
I strive to model health’s daily therapy;
Praise for success, sympathy for failure, a
A cheerful voice and laughter within a happy home.
I observe all things about you and keep them in my heart as a
Compass.

I take thee child:
Resolving to renew these vows devoutly,
Reviewing my own values, lest them dim,
Expressing sorrow when I misjudge you,
Starting anew each time I fail.

In Lieu of a ring:
I pledge you my fidelity with a ring of love
To encircle us both, woven of word and deed
And the shining thread of spirit.

By Dorothy Rose

No comments: