Feb 7, 2005

Experiential Women's Group

Tonight, after choosing not to go through traditional therapy I began an Experiential Women's Group that has a Hakomi based philosophy.

"Hakomi Experiential Psychotherapy combines the Eastern traditions of mindfulness and non-violence with a unique, highly effective Western methodology. Hakomi is a body-centered, somatic psychotherapy. The body's structures and habitual patterns become a powerful doorway to unconscious core material, including the hidden core beliefs which shape our lives, relationships, and self-images.The Hakomi Method quickly accesses this core material, allowing it to emerge safely into consciousness. Once conscious, it can be re-evaluated, and where appropriate, powerfully transformed. New dimensions of awareness can be integrated, helping the individual to build a more satisfying and effective life. Loving presence and the healing relationship are central to Hakomi. The process creates an exquisite level of sensitivity and attunement between therapist and client, developing a deep sense of safety and connection which facilitates the effectiveness of the therapy. The Hakomi Institute was founded in Boulder, Colorado in 1981 by Ron Kurtz and a core group of trainers. Since then, the Institute has expanded to offer
Hakomi training around the world. Workshops and trainings are currently held in the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, South America, Australia, and New Zealand. The Institute also maintains a directory of Certified Hakomi Therapists in the U.S. and abroad."

The group has 6 women, two of which are the Psychotherapists that lead the group. I found out about the group on
www.craigslist.org which is an amazing resource by itself and serves as a community portal in each city. I decided I would try the group- as it is eight weeks long and I could drop it at anytime if it wasn't serving a purpose.

Typically, I come off as a confidant woman. Weather this is truth or not has yet to be determined. When I walked into the People House
www.peoplehouse.com where the group convened I started to become really anxious. I am nut usually nervous around therapy or new journeys - I actually quite like trying new things. This was different. I knew that when we went around the small circle that I would have to share how I ended up in a group such as this. And I did. And when I opened my mouth I completely fell to pieces explaining the last 16 months of my life drew tears to even the moderator. It is so powerful to unload and share and weep in a safe place with other women- regardless if they know what it feels like to lose a baby- each one of the women there tonight is in some kind of pain- and our tears connected.

This feels better than traditional 1:1 therapy. This way there is a circle and a sense of community and bonding. I so need this- even more than I knew. Though I have a wonderful support network and loving family, one can only shed so many tears and keep re-telling the same stories of adversity. It is nice that this is a non-biased group of women that are really there to just heal and be. I realized tonight how much work I really have ahead of me to regain my strength and my full self after the last year or so. And on the way home I thought, WOW, what an opportunity to grow and really take this time to take care of myself. I feel really lucky for time right now- every second I get I am thankful for.

There is a song by Damien Rice
http://www.damienrice.com on his "O" CD that says something like "Life taught me how to die, love taught me to lie, stones taught me to fly" it is a beautiful song... I don't know the order- but it makes me really feeeeeeeel- and it makes so much sense.

Sweet Dreams
Ashley E.

No comments: